Summary of Required Skill Set and Action Plan

In 5 year’s time…

I will have completed a placement working with young participants of the ages between 11-25 years. During this placement, I will have led workshops in drama. From this I will gain experience with teaching and working with young participants. After this, I will work with younger participants – of the ages between 3-6 years to gain experience with Early Years. I will be an Equity member and will either be forming my own theatre company or will have joined one as an emerging actor/performer. I will work freelance alongside this by working with Early Years.

Key Training:

I will need specific skills and training before being able to work in this field so after looking through advertised jobs I have found essential criteria for working as drama practitioners working with young participants.

Job Role –

‘Drama Club Assistant’ for the Creation Theatre Company, the skill set needed is:

• To have worked with children or young people previously in a drama/education setting
  • Full driving license and car
  • Up-to-date First Aid training

They also state that the candidate would need to help with marketing and administrative duties so I would need some knowledge of this.

Job Role –

‘Freelance Drama Practitioner’ for DBA Theatre, the skill set needed is:

• Clear DBS check
  • Full driving license and car
  • Experience working with children of all ages and abilities
  • Degree or equivalent in drama

Job Role –

‘Drama Practitioner’ for Theatrebugs, the skill set needed is:

• To be outgoing – personality is a vital factor
  • Excellent communication skills
  • Up-to-date DBS check

They also state that to have a full, clean driving license, car and teaching experience is useful but not essential.

I understand now from looking at potential jobs in the future I would need to gain more experience teaching children and to gain extra abilities such as having a driving license, a DBS check and First Aid training. I would also need to gain some knowledge in marketing and administrative areas to apply this when needed in the future.