Community Dance – Introduction

As an emerging practitioner I will be discussing my own adaptations of community dance for community dance and theatre. I will base my knowledge of acting and the theatre industry with my new knowledge of community dance, I will outline my own values and aims within this and create my own code of conduct.

So what is community dance?

It is a style of dance that: “engages directly with people as they define themselves, valuing and respecting who they are” (Amans, 2008, 6). Community dance has no guidelines or restrictions and is affordable. It provides: “experiences that contribute positively to self-worth, self-confidence and [gives] a sense of well-being” (Amans, 2008, 6).

Who delivers community dance?

It can be delivered by any full-time or part-time or freelance practitioner. Community workers are not necessarily teachers, as: “some want to be known as artists […] possessing additional skills which enable them to work in the community” (Amans, 2008, 7).

Where does it take place?

This will depend on who the participants are. The community practitioner may go to a school to work with children and provide workshops there but if they were working with the elderly, the practitioner may go into the nursing home or somewhere accessible nearby with good facilities. Community dance can be taught anywhere, there is no set location because the practitioner must ensure that the space is appropriate for each specific age group or accessible for those with disabilities. The practitioner would need to ensure that every venue suited their participants in regards to health and safety.

As an emerging practitioner, my values are:

• To limit no one who is willing to learn
  • To understand that everyone has an element of creativity and to encourage it, not cloud it
  • To connect everyone together giving them ownership over their goals
  • To provide opportunities for everyone

To be an excellent community dance and theatre practitioner I need to have various qualities in competency, responsibility, safety, working with people and I will need to commit to the code of conduct.

Works cited:

Amans, D. (eds.) (2008) An introduction to community dance practice. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.